Recipes: Chicken Paprikash and Balsamic Salmon

Growing up my mom used to make Chicken Paprikash. It was one of my favorite soups. I loved the flavor, I loved the dumplings and I loved that it had sour cream in it. It was so simple, yet so yummy and comforting. I have been craving it so last night I made some for the family. They loved it (well, all but Nan, and she'll just have to get over it). I got the recipe from my aunt, since I couldn't find my moms original recipe, but it tasted just like hers. I made a few adjustments because I didn't have a few ingredients (red pepper flakes and wondra flour).
Chicken Paprikash
1 onion (chopped)
1 clove garlic (minced)
2 1/2 lbs. cut up chicken (I used boneless skinless thighs)
2 Tbs. Paprika (sweet Hungarian paprika)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. red pepper
2 c. water ( I used 2c. chicken broth and then water to cover chicken)
Saute onions and garlic in olive oil. Add cut up chicken and brown. Add paprika, salt, pepper, then water. Simmer 1 1/2 hours or till chicken is cooked through.
To make dumplings:
2 c. regular flour
1 c. wondra flour
3 eggs
1 c. milk
Combine all ingredients and drop into boiling water (I added a little broth to this) and cook for about 15 minutes, or until done.
To Thicken Broth:
1 Tbs. flour
1/2 pint of sour cream
Mix together and add some of the hot liquid to this. Stir and pour back into soup. Cook a little longer and serve.
*NOTE: I probably used more flour to thicken and I used a little bit of milk as well. I'd like to try this substituting plain yogurt for the sour cream.
*****************************************************
On Sunday I had to throw together a lunch because our lunch plans fell through. I lined a baking pan with parchment paper. Then I took 4 salmon fillets out and thawed them quickly in the microwave. Then in a bowl (and I apologize because I didn't measure anything out) I added some balsamic vinegar, olive oil, pepper, dill, garlic powder, and a dash of season salt. I dipped the fillets in the mixture till they were coated and then placed them on the parchment paper. Baked at 400 till they were done. Oh Yum-O. They were tender and full of amazing flavor.
I also found some really small potatoes at Trader Joes. I cut them in half, tossed them with chopped onion, garlic powder, pepper and a touch of season salt and roasted them in the oven with the salmon. So much flavor, they could be eaten without anything else.

Comments

  1. Yum. This whole post is totally delicious.

    We often roast our potatoes in the oven like that. Yum (again).

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh another good sounding one. I will need to add it to my list of ones I still need to try

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - enjoyed looking through your blog (received link from the blog party going on!) - just had to subscribe. I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts