10 on the 10th......10 Lessons learned during 2020





I'm again, joining Leslie from Once Upon A Time and Happily Ever After for 10 on the 10th. One of my goals this year is to blog more. I don't blog for money (though that would be really cool) but to keep a sort of online journal of life. Sharing recipes, trips, whatever comes to my mind. These 10 on the 10th are a great way to do that. 

This month we're sharing 10 things we learned in 2020 or 10 memories. 

2020 was definitely one for the books. While it was definitely different in so many ways, for our family it didn't change a whole lot in the way our day to day life functioned. So let's get on with my 10 thoughts.

1. My whole family were considered essential workers. My hubby did work from home for a few months, but the rest of us got up and went to our jobs each day. My daughter's are baristas, and I work for a postal annex, local small business. My hubby works for a restoration company. Our little business increased its volume of business so much. There was a small part of me that wished I had a reason to just stay home because just think what I could have done, BUT I was so glad we all had our steady income and did not have to deal with the unemployment, etc. 

2. I saw the good in so many people, and I saw the ugly in so many people. Sometimes in the same people. Never have I seen such division and feelings of hatred and willingness to sever relationship over the need to be right or because you disagree. But I also saw kindness and love, I saw people willing to have a conversation to try and understand the other side. I saw people helping, supporting small businesses. It made me so much more aware and appreciative.
Once a week my family and also my boss would order out from one of our local businesses to support them. 

3. While I never really thought about it, I realized that I, myself have biases that influence how I think, act and what I believe. So I tried to become more aware, I read books, listened to podcasts that would help me understand better. I'll list them at the end of the post.

4. I never realized how much I enjoyed shopping, until I didn't. When restrictions got even tighter and we had to wear masks and walk down aisles one way and people gave you the stink eye, it was no longer fun. I just wanted to get in and get out. I began trying to only go to the store once every two weeks. I miss "loving" shopping, walking freely into a store, smiling and talking to people. 

5. You really realize the freedom you have when it's taken away (I live in Washington, bordering Oregon). It can feel paralyzing. I am by nature a rule follower and last year was a struggle with what I believe or felt internally and my desire to "obey the rules"...All I can say is I want my freedom back....not sure when that's going to happen. 

6. I did LOVE the time I got to spend with my family and grandson...he, especially makes everything brighter. The consistent times of watching him made things so much better. We did take some trips, and because we were already seeing each other regularly, we continued to do so.  We almost did NOT get to see them for Christmas (I know, many did not see family, but we were still planning on it)...they had flown up from Texas, but we were sick before hand...I will admit, I had a meltdown one day, but thankfully all was good and we could be together. 

7. I will NOT take life,  health, freedom for granted. I will also do EVERYTHING I can to stay healthy and enjoy life right where I am and in the season we are in. I'm glad that we were able to stay healthy the entire year...we did get sick right before Christmas, but it didn't last long. 

8. Intentionality is sooooo important. My hubby and I stayed very intentional with exercise and what we ate...so we could avoid that Covid-20 or whatever people said....lol. I tried to read, to listen to podcasts, to stay in a good place mentally and emotionally. Was I always successful? No, but I feel like so many of the things that seemed to affect others around me, didn't affect me. I think being able to continue to work helped.

9. I learned just how much I am a people person, love interacting, seeing smiles, talking to strangers, giving hugs. I really miss seeing smiles, hugging people, though I will admit that if you want to hug me, you can be sure I'm going to hug you back. 

10. Choosing to be kind is always so much more beautiful than choosing hate, bitterness, anger, etc. I've done a lot of scrolling through on FB and IG this last year. In any personality test I always come out the peacemaker...lol. I DO NOT like debating, arguing, confrontation. Ugghh.

Oh, and as a bonus....I also learned to make sourdough bread, and took up embroidery again. I attended two "virtual showers" and did a Zoom book club. Because I want to read more. Yay!

I share more on my year in this 2020 in retrospect, complete with photos. I finished this post late so didn't get a chance to add photos to it. 



Also, if you'd like to join in, here are the themes for the rest of the year, and check out Leslies post with the Questions here





Books I read for growth and understanding in 2020:


Those were the two main ones.

Podcasts I enjoy:

For The Love with Jen Hatmaker
Another Name for Everything with Richard Rohr
The Rob Cast
Pantsuit Politics 

I also found certain IG stories were encouraging, though for the life of me I can't think who they were....

I really enjoyed Amy Grants, Stories from the Farm on IG and on FB. Just fun to watch and listen and I've always been a fan. 

I have stayed away from the news for the most part. 



With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

Comments

  1. A lovely year for sure. I loved reading about all you learned and did to remain positive in a tumultuous year. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carrie. Happy New year to you too.

      Delete
  2. We found that much of our daily lives weren't hugely impacted either since I have homeschooled my boys for the past 7-8 years and my husband was an essential worker as well. We have had more adjustments to make this fall as my middle son decided to attend a local high school and they have been doing a hybrid learning schedule. But I think much of our lifestyle over the past 8 years led us to adjust much easier than most to all the restrictions. I too miss shopping for fun though and can't wait to be mask free just browsing for no real reason... and to get on a plane to go on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely glad my girls aren't in school anymore, though we homeschooled and likely would have continued to do so, I know those who were in public school had a really tough transition. Totally agree on the browsing around for no real reason...lol. I have tried to venture out more because I don't want the fact that I'm being asked to wear a mask keep me from the things I enjoy doing...

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for joining me. This post made me think. Thank you. I have probably had at least a half-dozen melt downs through this crazy pandemic. Just when I seem to be adjusting, I fall apart. But then I feel better for a bit.
    Glad you picked up embroidery again. I may have to go get a cross stich I saw at Goodwill so I can refresh my cross stitch skills or lack there of. I have many unfinished projects, including cross stich projects, but my eyes are much worse than they were when I started them. Not sure they will ever be finished.
    I am exhausted by the way politics has separated or tried to separate/divide our country, my family. Praying for our country. For tolerance on all sides.
    Would like to know what podcasts you have been listening to. And when!! I can't figure out a way to get it all done everyday.
    Thank you so much for joining me and for sharing the questions so others might join in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't cross stitched in so long. My mom did it all the time, and I used to but got easily frustrated if I counted wrong...I totally would need reading glasses if I were to take it up again. I too am exhausted by all the politics...ugghh...wish we could just all work together despite differences for the good of everyone. I struggle to make the time to listen to podcasts...I don't usually drive long enough distances to listen to them in the car. Sometimes I listne to them when I walk, or when I'm at the computer doing work. I forgot to add those to the end of my post so I'll go do that now.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts