Recipe: Bob's Protein Bars

Yesterday I mentioned I was going to make some Protein Bars that I had seen in the Bob's Red Mill Baking Book. This book is great. Lots of amazing sounding recipes. Yesterday afternoon I made the bars. My hubby likes protein bars to take to work but the ones I was buying him were getting too sweet (South Beach Diet Peanut butter ones) for him (the guy does not have a sweet tooth). I was browsing this book I had just gotten from the library and found a recipe for Protein Bars. Hubby said I should try them. The recipe called for chocolate chips and he said to leave them out. Can I just say....DON'T leave them out!! They are needed. The bars were good, but a bit bland tasting, and personally I think a bit dry. Hubby suggested adding some honey next time, but I'm not sure how that will affect how they bake or the texture. I will try it though. I think if I can find the right combo, they would be great! Here is the recipe: 1/2 c. Quinoa Flour 2 Tbs. unbleached white flour 1 1/4 c. soy protein powder 3/4 c. oat bran 2 1/4 c. rolled oats 1 tsp. ground cinnamon 1/4 tsp. ground allspice 1 tsp. salt 3/4 c. brown sugar, packed 1/4 c. peanut butter 1 1/2 tbs. vegetable oil 2 c. plain yogurt 2 1/2 tsp. vanilla 1/2 c. pecans, chopped 1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips 1/2 c. sunflower seed, optional Preheat oven to 350. Lightly oil a 13 x 9 baking pan or dish. Lightly oil another baking sheet or cover with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whisk or sift together, flours, protein powder, oat bran, rolled oats, cinnamon, allspice, salt, and brown sugar. **NOTE** it is recommended to make your own quinoa flour as quinoa flour goes rancid fairly quickly. I have a Vita-Mix with a dry container and used that to grind my quinoa.
Quinoa flour....from grain to flour in just about a minute!
In a large microwave-safe dish, whisk the peanut butter together with oil. Microwave for a few seconds until soft, but not heated. Combine with the yogurt and vanilla, then add to the dry ingredients along with the pecans (I used walnuts), chocolate chips, and sunflower seeds. Mix the dough thoroughly (it will be thick). Pat the dough into the prepared pan and bake for 18 minutes, until lightly browned and a tester comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cut into bars. Place the bars on the second baking sheet and return to the oven for 15 minutes or until brown around the edges. . Place the bars on a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container for 3 or 4 days, or freeze for up to a month Now.....like I said I felt like these needed the chocolate chips or maybe some dried cranberries, but hubby didn't want them added. The bottoms also got a bit done during the second baking, so they need to be watched closely, or I may turn the oven off before putting them back in. Kat thought they were a bit dry and I agreed. They weren't "bad" I just feel like they need some tweaking. Without the chips, there is not much flavor. So often store-bought items are just over-sweetened (for my hubby's taste..I like things sweet), so I'm trying to find good alternatives. I will continue my journey! With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts