Produce Storage Question

I just came home from grocery shopping and as I was putting my produce away I was thinking about how often my produce goes bad before I use it, and how much I hate a myriad of plastic bags sitting in my fridge. We live 30 minutes away from the bigger city where I do my grocery shopping and there are no farmers markets close by to do daily shopping trips. A few small farms, but nothing that really allows me to go daily to buy my produce, or even every few days. I'd like to pose a question to all of you and just maybe you can help me out. *How do you store your produce (fruit and veggies)? * What do you store it in? Okay, so that was two questions, but I'd really like to know!! I have every intention of using it, but often enough life gets in the way and I don't use it fast enough. Then I kick myself for wasting money on something that I never got to use.
With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. Fruit is never suppose to be put in the refrigerator because it loses all its nutrients and the sugar breaks down. I put my fruit in a fruit bowl on the counter and only buy as much as we can go through in just a few days.

    I store mushrooms in a paper bag and they last forever in the frig that way. Lettuce I just keep it in the wrapper it comes in. Radishes keep forever if they're stems are cut off. Tomatoes should be kept on the windowsill or counter but away from fruit.

    I think we all have fruit and veggies that spoil from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I store my fruit on a bowl in the middle of the kitchen table.

    As for veggies, they're in the refrigerator. When I bring home any leafy veggies, I always wash them and then stick them in a big ziploc bag with a paper towel to absorb any water. They keep longer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the ladies above, I generally keep my fruit like apples, citrus, bananas, etc in a bowl on the cabinet. Things like grapes and cherries I wash and keep in a colander on the top shelf in the frig so that they are eye level and are easily seen. As for veggies, I use Tupperware frig keepers. It is an initial investment that can be pricey (have a party and get them for free :) that is how I got several of mine!), but I always keep carrots, onions, celery, broccoli, etc in them and very rarely does it spoil before I use it. So, the initial investment pays off.
    Hope you can solve your problem. I hate wasting food and gas, too. Have a great weekend!
    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies for all your tips. I appreciate them immensly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts