Recipe: Chicken and Rice Casserole

CREAMY CHICKEN AND RICE CASSEROLE
1 6.9 oz. package of chicken and herb flavored rice-a-roni
1 Tbs. margarine or butter
2 1/4 c. hot water
cooking spray
1 1/2 lgs. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cubed
1 c. sliced fresh mushrooms (optional)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 c. nonfat sour cream
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 10 3/4 oz. can cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
1/4 c. crushed, multi grain crackers
1 Tbs. margarine, melted
1/2 tsp. poppy seeds
Cook rice in a large nonstick skillet according to package directions but using 1 Tbs. butter and 2 1/4 c. hot water instead. Remove mixture from skillet and set aside. Wipe skillet out and coat with cooking spray. Cook chicken and mushrooms till no longer pink (*NOTE: I leave out the mushrooms as the girls don't like them). Combine rice mixture, chicken, sour cream, seasonings and soup in a bowl. Stir well. Spoon into a sprayed 13 x 9 pan or whatever size you want. In a bowl combine crackers, margarine and poppy seeds. Spread over top of casserole. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or until heated thoroughly. (*NOTE: I often just used Italian style bread crumbs and melted butter) That's it, you're done. It is such a good recipe I make it anytime I'm going out of town and the family or hubby need a meal.
I also made them spaghetti sauce which is so simple. Maybe I'll post that later.
With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts