Thick and Hearty Clam Chowder

I am a clam chowder kind of gal. Well, I'm a seafood kind of gal. If that is all that was left on the face of the planet to eat I'd be one happy camper. Every Christmas Eve I make it, served in yummy sourdough bread bowls. I thought I'd share the recipe here. Let me know if you make it and what you think. In the next few days I'll share an amazing cinnamon roll recipe as well. This is so good that honestly we haven't had a restaurant one that we like better. It's not my original recipe. Someone gave it to me years ago before I was married.
Hearty Clam Chowder
1/4 lb. diced potatoes
4 slices bacon, diced (I love bacon so I use more)
6 Tbs. butter
1 med. onion, diced
2 to 3 ribs celery, chopped
1 tsp. marjoram
2 tsp. basil
1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. dill
1/2 tsp. thyme
2 bay leaves
white, ground and cayenne pepper to taste ( I just use black pepper)
1/3c. flour
4 c. whipping cream
1/2 c. half and half
1 1/4 c. clam nectar
1 1/2-2 c. fresh or canned clams
Blanch potatoes in boiling water 5 minutes (or add later and cook longer). Drain and set aside. Cook bacon until it is transparent. Add butter, celery, onion and all seasonings. Cook until veggies are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in flour and cook over low heat 3 to minutes. Stir in cream, half and half and clam nectar; heat to just under boiling point. Add clams and potatoes. Bring to a boil slowly and cook 2 to 5 minutes (longer if potatoes are uncooked). Discard bay leaves. Serve in small sourdough bread bowls. *We like it thick so thicken if you need to, or add more liquid if you want it thinner.

Comments

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts