Creamy Turkey and Wild Rice Soup:


 I love Thanksgiving dinner. The turkey, the stuffing, the gravy! I could eat my mother in laws gravy with a spoon...oh wait, I do! I also love leftovers, for about 1, maybe 2 days, then I'm over it. I can't eat another plate of turkey, stuffing, potatoes and gravy. I want something more, something different. This soup is just the thing to use up leftovers without feeling like you're eating leftovers AGAIN!

I originally posted it in 2008 after I had found it on an Eating Well website. It is similar to the Broccoli and wild rice soup I make, but much lighter. So let's get on with it.


Ingredients:

1 tbs. Olive oil
2 c. mushrooms
1 c. sliced carrots
3/4 c. sliced celery
1/4 c. chopped shallots or onion
1/4 c. all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 c. chicken broth
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 c. quick cooking or instant wild rice 
3 c. shredded or chopped cooked turkey
1/2 c. sour cream
2 Tbs. fresh parsley

Instructions:

1. In a large soup pan heat olive oil. Add mushrooms, carrots, celery and shallots (or onion), cooking until softened. Add flour, salt and pepper, stirring for about 2 minutes.

2. Add broth and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Add rice and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until rice is tender about 5-7 minutes. Stir in turkey, sour cream, and parsley. Cook until heated through.

NOTES: I didn't use quick cooking rice. I bought regular wild rice, cooked it separately and then added it to the soup when it was done. I also added a little bit of cheese. Season more to your personal taste. I like a lot of flavor so I tend to play with the seasonings.


With Joy Unquenchable,



Comments

Popular Posts