What world do you live in?

What do you mean "what world do I live in"? What kind of question is that! "What world do you live in lady"? Well, I'm glad you asked. You see, while, yes, we all live on the same beautiful planet earth, we are not all living in the same world. 

By definition, "world", according to good old Merriam-Webster, can mean:



  •  the literal planet we live on, consisting of the earth and all the people living on it
  • human society
  • individual course of life
  • the sphere or scene of one's life and actions
So you see, the term world is so much broader than what we might think. As I've reflected on the tragic events of the last few months in our nation and abroad, I've once again come to the conclusion that we all simply do not live in the same world, that is, in the way we think, view and walk out life, and of course, the geographical location we find ourselves living in. I believe all of these things contribute to what we think and believe, and how we respond to circumstances around us, but I also believe that we are not bound to those things. That we can change our outlook, our perspective.

I don't believe for one minute that if you grow up in the projects (no matter what color skin you have), with drug addicted parents, living off welfare, that you, yourself will end up the same way. I don't believe for a minute that if you did poorly in school and couldn't afford college, that you are bound for a life of minimum wage jobs and poverty. I don't believe for a minute that every circumstance that happens around us is cause for fear and worry. I believe that happiness, success, rising above is a choice for each individual to make. 

You can sit in the same room, with 5 different people, watching the same thing on T.V. and get 5 different responses. Each of those 5 people are viewing the situation through a different set of lenses. Some might see "the glass half empty, while others see it half full", some might look at a field of dandelions and see hundreds of weeds while the others see a hundred wishes. Some might watch tragedies and think the world is coming to an end while others will still see hope left. 

So, I'll ask again, what world do you live in? 


As a pretty optimistic person, it's hard for me to see things, and think the worst. That doesn't mean I'm not affected, my heart often breaks for the tragedies around me. It takes intentionality to keep a positive mindset sometimes and not to become to hardened when our own circumstances are less than ideal. But I thoroughly believe that even in the midst of heartache or hard times, we can still have an outlook that is positive and thus we are able to walk through it so much easier. When I choose to look at life and the world around me with joy, hope and positivity, I am much happier, healthier and content. When I surround myself with people and things that bring me joy and build me up it makes a world of difference. What we allow into our lives really can alter our outlook. I have had to choose to hide some people on social media, or not watch too much negative TV, to not allow myself to be in the company too often of negative thinkers. And all of that is okay. I've also had to continually guard my thoughts when I read other blogs, etc..to keep from comparison or wrong wishful thinking. 

We live in a world that sensationalizes things, that desires to often drive fear into our hearts and minds for the sake of ratings, economic gain, etc. We have to be wise, sure, but we have to be sure we are living in a "world" that promotes peace and rest and hope, not a "world" that promotes depression, fear, anger and hatred. We have to be able to sift through the media hype to get to the truth. To grieve with those who grieve and mourn with those who mourn, but not become drowned by fear or others opinions. 

I'll close this with a few quotes from one of my favorite books, God Believes in You, by Francois duToit. 


" A thought often entertained becomes a footpath in the field of your imagination. It is common knowledge that a negative thought pattern  is the major cause of depression. A thought may remain secret and invisible for some time, but it inevitably will affect your conversation, your mood and your health. Your behaviour, whether it be your body language or attitude and mood can even transmit an invisible energy that influences others." (pg. 5)



"Fear's focus feeds on frustration, lack, lies, need, worry, anxiety, jealousy, anger, inferiority, suspicion, guilt, depression, ungratefulness, cynicism etc. Faith is fuelled by love. Love believes. Love values potential above performance or disappointment." (pg. 24)



"As long as you can find someone or something to blame, you remain trapped. In blaming someone or something, the depressed finds an excuse to remain depressed. You are freed the moment you realize that no one can take your quality of life away from you, if no one can stop you from thinking thoughts that truth inspires." (pg. 24)

There is so much more within the pages of this beautiful book that encourage me, inspire me, and remind me of my origin, who I am and where my value comes from, no matter what happens around me or to me. Reading these types of books, blog posts, etc..spending time talking with my Jesus, whom I was made in the mirror image of and walk intimately with is what helps me keep my mindset where it should be. We have gone through some not fun stuff the last few years, and with people we never would have imagined so it was very shaking to our very core. BUT, our identity was and is grounded on something else and so while I can the circumstances sucked and were wrong on so many levels, and hurtful, I can also say that all is well, and will be well. Still heartbreaking at times for many reasons, but life does go on and who I am hasn't changed.

So be encouraged, be hope-filled, joy-filled and choose to think differently! Here is a link to where you can purchase this book if you are interested. God Believes in You.



With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts