Living Intentionally: My Vision Board



I thought today I'd repost my original "how to" post on how and why I made my vision board. Yours, if you choose to make one can be anything you want it to be. A poster board, a piece of cork board, a frame, a notebook. Just make it you. 

Original post: 1/27/2016

Probably at least 4 years ago I purchased a framed corkboard piece at a garage sale...OUR garage sale. A friend had brought over some items to sell and I thought "I could do something with that"....and I never did! If you read my post yesterday about being more intentional in 2016 you will know I'm working on making more time for me, taking care of me. One of the things I've wanted to do but never have is to make a vision board. I was browsing Pinterest and found a framed one that someone had done and I loved it. I grabbed that frame that was sitting in my closet and got to work. 
I believe vision boards are awesome for inspiration in any area of life and it doesn't even have to be a "board". How about an inspiration journal? Or an "inspiration board" on Pinterest if you are more tech savvy, or a desktop picture collage as an inspiration board. The options are limitless and you can have more than one. Mine is meant to be encouraging to me to be intentional, to live life fully, to embrace who I am! I have some spaces to add more quotes or pictures, but I really like how it turned out. Maybe eventually I'll re-paint the frame and do what I originally wanted to do which was make it a chalkboard/cork board that went in my kitchen. But for now it's serving a greater purpose. 

The inspiration I got came from this post, and she has some great tips with it as well. I loved her "definition of a vision board.

So, What's a vision board? It's a place to display images, words, or objects that represent what you want to be adn do with your life in one beautiful, central location...... Jeanette, Lynton, Close to My Heart Blog

I love that...what you want to be and do...that's exactly why I decided to create my own. So, here's what I did to create mine.

The frame I had was kind of a light blue so I covered it with gray craft paint and then roughed it up with some sandpaper. 

The cork that was on it, wasn't very nice looking and I considered painting it, but I love color so I trotted off to Walmart and purchased a book of scrapbook paper. I chose a pattern for the background and decided to use solids for behind the quotes. 
I had received an Oprah magazine for Christmas and it had some amazing quotes that really fit what I wanted for myself this year. A few that I loved but wouldn't quite work, I did on the computer and printed. I also added a few things that my mom had written to me (she passed away 11 years ago) and a note that a FB member wrote to me when she sent me the "intentional" card after reading that was my word for the year. I'm sure I'll change things out throughout the year, with new words, quotes or pictures, but the key is making sure they reflect what I want to see happen this year. 


 Original color...it was pretty beat up and I just didn't like it.

 A part of me wishes it was more glossy, but I didn't have anything that would make it glossy or glossy paint and wasn't going to go to the store. So flat it is..but I like it.
Distressed so the blue comes through. I like it this way!
I love color and thought this added to the frame. I did have to ask my daughter if it was too much. 

What do you need? Not much really. Even just whatever you have around the house. I DO NOT have much extra money (as in seriously, I really don't) so much of what I used except for the $5 book of scrapbook paper that will last me awhile, I had at home.

  • Something as a background: corkboard, frame, heavy cardboard works too cut to size you want
  • tape (double sided would be great) or glue gun
  • push pins
  • scrapbook paper
  • magazines for quotes, pictures, words
  • quotes or other inspiration printed from computer
  • ribbon, washi tape, paper punches, etc...
  • Scissors
  • If you don't have financial resources create a board online
Decide how you want to organize and create your board. There is no right or wrong. It's yours, let your creativity soar. And if you think you aren't creative, read this quote from the book The Fringe Hours...

"Nobody is not creative. There is no such thing. I think there are only people who don't exercise their creativity"...Karen Walrond

So, no excuses! Have fun, get creative and make your board. I started by placing my papers (taping it in case I want to change it later) to the cork. I then cut out my quotes and placed them on the board. That's it. Don't think about it too much, just enjoy the process. My board is on the desk in our living room..so not only I can see it, but my family as well, and they can also be inspired. 


With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. I love this! I'm for sure making a vision board. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts