Kitchen Tip Tuesday: Removing Strawberry stems

Last week Nan and I made strawberry Freezer jam. One tip that I wanted to share was removing the stems from strawberries. I have two ways that I regularly use. The first way is to use a "berry stemmer". I don't know the actual name, but this little tool is wonderful. I apologize that I didn't take a picture and I can't find one online. Never mind, I found one... It is small with a simple handle and rounded top with little teeth all the way around. Use it to cut only the stem away from the berry, thus not wasting anything the way using a knife would.The other way I do it which can be fun for kids is a straw. Use one that is slightly heavy duty as they can bend and wear out really fast. Stick the straw through the bottom of the berry and out the top. This pushes the stem right out and also cores the berry. Nan used a straw while I used the "stemmer". For more great kitchen tips, head over and visit Tammy at Tammy's Recipes. With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. I have seen the little spoon for removing stems...they work great on tomatoes as well, but I really like the straw idea. I'll have to let the kiddos try it next time I make strawberry jam!

    xo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas. I use a grapefruit spoon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristin!
    I have the Pampered Chef version of that, and it is my absolute favorite kitchen tool! It works for taking that hard end out of kiwi, eyes out of potatoes, tomatoes, and cucumbers (seeding). I LOVE IT. I am going to try the straw idea to get the littles more involved :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts